Phone Number: 020 8657 1663

What is our procedure when dealing with suspected subsidence or heave?

What happens first?

We undertake a preliminary structural engineering survey of the building and/or site and quickly produce a detailed report which gives conclusions and recommendations about the actions needed to tackle the problem. 

All unusual features are noted including;

  • Unusual cracks in the structure as well as in the ground and any unusual floor slopes. 
  • Drain and tree locations. 
  • A history of the events leading up to the time when the problem became apparent.

 Copies of the report are provided for you and others as required.

What could be recommended and who can sort this out?

The Recommendations section of the report may call for any of the following:

  • Drain Testing 
  • Soil sampling and testing 
  • Crack monitoring
  • Tree Identification

Structural Survey Costs

The cost of our preparing the preliminary report and any immediate follow-up tests is funded by the client, initially. 

Where an insurance claim is to be made the preliminary costs count towards the insurance excess.

Assuming your insurance claim is accepted, you sign a mandate directing your insurers to pay any moneys into our clients’ account, from which we then pay your builders, etc as required.

Who sorts out the underpinning?

John Bellman & Associates Ltd is able to organise this for you, our service includes the following; 

  • Design any underpinning, etc which is required.
  • Draw up a specification and other construction documents required for any works to commence.
  • Organise a tendering process.

  • Deal with any necessary Building Control applications.
  • Advise on the best tender.
  • Oversee the work.

And what about the cracking?

Likewise, we organise repair and redecoration to the prevailing standard, often as part of the underpinning contract.

What else do we need to do?

If the underpinning procedure is extensive your house, your house may become uninhabitable whilst it is being undertaken. 

You may  need to arrange alternative accommodation and to have your furniture either stored or moved to your new accommodation for the duration of the procedure. 

Your insurance company will reimburse the cost of temporary relocation to a dwelling of comparable standard, we will advise you well in advance if this might be the case.

Apart from answering non-technical questions and re-housing, we organise everything else for you.