Domestic Needs for retaining walls
- To build studies, recreation rooms, guest rooms, extensions, etc. below land level.
- To avoid the planning restrictions associated with above ground domestic construction.
- For further development of a sloping site, restricted by the slope.
Commercial Needs for Retaining Walls.
- To construct car parking below ground when there is no land commercially available for above ground construction.
- To build office or university libraries or document storage areas within easy reach of existing premises without having to buy new land, not necessarily conveniently placed.
- To develop sloping sites for use as future housing.
- Highway construction in hilly terrain to reduce earth moving and land acquisition costs.
- Railway construction.